Arcinfo .dbf files

Antonio Rodríguez Verdugo rod.chav at hsoft.es
Wed Feb 2 10:11:26 EST 2000

"Joseph Brian Adams, Ph.D." wrote:

> I have been trying to read in some Arcinfo .shp files into 5.0beta4.  My
> vector maps do not appear to have the attributes at all.  Does v.in.shape
> automatically look for the .dbf file once I give it the shape file name?
> Should I be doing this somehow with v.support or v.digit?

Joseph,

v.in.shape will automatically find your .dbf file.  As
written you can supply an attribute= argument to select a numeric argument
to use as the category number of the imported vectors.  Other than this the
attributes are ignored.

It isn't clear to me that a list of attributes can be meaningful associated
with vectors short of use of one of the database extensions.

Good luck,

I set the clouds in motion - turned up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerda at home.com
light and sound - activate the windows | http://members.home.com/warmerda

Antonio Rodríguez Verdugo