v.in.shape and category values

Joseph Brian Adams, Ph.D. brian_adams at jbadams.com
Thu Feb 10 15:46:55 EST 2000

I have been trying to do this same thing.  GRASS 5.0 beta 4 reads in
the file and creates the vector file but it seems to ignore the
attribute that I specify.  When I then go into v.support and v.digit
I can't seem to assign categories to the areas.  Is there some steps
that I am missing?

Thanks,

Brian

>I'm trying to import a bunch of shapefiles into grass (5 beta 6) with
>v.in.shape.  The problem is, though I specify an attribute field, the
>category values do not show up. Am I missing a step, or is v.in.shape
>broken? The files do me little good if I can't relate them to something.
>
>BTW, the attributes are all 16 character strings -- if it matters.
>
>On a related note, if I import point files, what do I have to do to turn
>them into sites?  I get degenerate lines for topology, which don't plot.
>I didn't see a v.to.sites or similar.
>

>Thanks in advance
>--
>| Eric G. Miller                        egm2 at jps.net |
>| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |

Providing Support Services in         J. Brian Adams, Ph.D.
     Statistical Analysis                   717.393.6144
      Decision Modeling              brian_adams at jbadams.com
     Operations Research                  www.jbadams.com