NVIZ Segmentation Fault

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Feb 21 20:06:06 EST 2000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 10:51:11AM +1100, Philip Warner wrote:
> I may be being optimistic, but I am running Grass on the beta release of
> SuSE Linux for the PowerPC. So far, it all seems to build and run fine (not
> that I'd know if there was a problem, but it seems to do what I ask).
>
> However, NVIZ segfaults whenever I try to run it. Nothing is displayed, and
> no error messages (other than seg fault). If I try to run NVIZ without X or
> Grass, it complains, so I assume that it is at least getting as far as
> checking it's environment etc.

Been having the same problem here for months!

> I vaguely recall reading somewhere that NVIS had certain video hardware
> requirements, but can no longer find anything to that effect. If this is
> the case, then the PPC probably does not meet those requirements, and the
> problem is solved.

Don't think it's PPC specific since my machine is i686/Linux.

> Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated - even if they are
> only suggestions as to how I can find out more...

Basically, I think the NVIZ code has some problems.  Sure it compiles,
but I get many warnings about incompatible pointer types (clue 1).  My
last strace on NVIZ seemed to indicate it fails shortly after loading
the tk.tcl interface.  It appears to send an inappropriate IO request:

access("/usr/lib/tk8.0/tk.tcl", F_OK)   = 0
stat("/usr/lib/tk8.0/tk.tcl", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=5697, ...})
= 0
open("/usr/lib/tk8.0/tk.tcl", O_RDONLY) = 7
fcntl(7, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)           = 0
ioctl(7, TCGETS, 0xbfffd8c8)            = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl
for device)
read(7, "# tk.tcl --\n#\n# Initialization s"..., 4096) = 4096
read(7, "vent add <<Clear>> <Clear>\n    }"..., 4096) = 1601
close(7)                                = 0
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

I wonder if ENOTTY has any relation to UNIX 98 PTYs? Just speculatin'...