Future direction (and a rant).

Tom Poindexter tpoindex at nyx.net
Tue Jan 4 22:06:24 EST 2000

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 05:22:44PM -0800, Matt.Wilkie wrote:

I've dreamed up some ideas for a more interactive gui also.  I believe it
would be possible to expand tcltkgrass to provide a native display widget.

I have some old code written by another person that implements vector drawing
(DLG's) in the native Tk canvas.  The Tk canvas widget is quite powerful, but
may get sluggish with several thousand objects.  Another person also has
implemented a specific 'geomap' widget that should also be useful (GPL'ed too,
http://www2.txcyber.com/~gcarri/programming/tkgeomap.html.)  Yet another
nice piece of code is Pad++, a zoomable 2-D drawing widget.  (Newer Pad
development is in Java [Jazz], the 0.9 Tcl extension version was pretty cool.)
http://www.cs.umd.edu/hcil/pad++/
There are also several OpenGL Tk widgets that could be used.

I'll second the desirability to keep the command line tools.

Now on my wish list for GRASS 6.0: the ability to deal with multiple
projections & datums in one database.   Setting up a database as, say UTM,
and then importing Lat-lon data is a real pain.

--
Tom Poindexter
tpoindex at nyx.net
http://www.nyx.net/~tpoindex/