Future direction - GRASS GUI

J.Simon Goodall sgoodall at netcombbs.com.ar
Sat Jan 15 19:06:00 EST 2000

Hello folks,

Has anyone considered the alternative "Microimages" style,
(http://www.microimages.com) I used their product TNTmips for a while when
doing contract work and was very happy with the interface. Had to produce
a lot of printed output and the layout tools where superb, absolute
control.

Their solution to the portable GUI is to have a X server under Windows
that they programmed themselves, actually quite a few unixer's use it as a
Windows X server. They have the same solution for the Mac. All their
coding is done in unix and they use their own API, guess this simplifies
the portability issue.

Well, other things. I agree completely that GRASS should remain "modular"
and easily scriptable, it's what provides flexibility that other programs
don't have. Postgress and R seem good options as well.

Hope all this finishes in a better GRASS, my $0.02 worth,

Regards,

Simon Goodall.

--
J.Simon Goodall, Lic. Ea.Viamonte, C.C.8, 9420 Rio Grande, TDF, Argentina.
te:54.2964.430.861 fx:422.008 mob:15.614647 e-mail:sgoodall at global.com.ar