Beta 5 and its lockfile

jbrowne jbrowne at liu.edu
Mon Jan 17 10:45:37 EST 2000

What did I do wrong?

I've had GRASS5beta4 running since October, I was hesitant to touch it but
yesterday I uninstalled it and installed beta5. When I tried to run it and
got:

   GIS.sh line 23: 1308 Segmentation Fault $ETC/lock $lockfile$$
   Unable to properly access /home/nydir/.gislock5

The directory is right and there should be no permission problems. I even
tried it from root, same thing. As a kludge, I commented out the exit;; line
in the script. GRASS then started, but exited too fast for me to read any
messages.

   I looked at the Beta4 source, and it seems that returning 0 flags a lock
and 1 is O.K.. The script seems to expect the opposite. I'm going to download
and check the new source.

   If this was a bug, and a fix was posted, my apologies. With both the forum
and the mail archive down, I couldn't check.

                             Thanks
                               Jim