Help: d.mon x0 fails with "connection refused"

Gregory Walker gwalker at jump.net
Tue Jun 6 23:41:47 EDT 2000

I am system software developer and was using Unix 20
years ago, but I am a relative newbie to Linux and GRASS.
In fact, I have installed Linux specifically to run GRASS.

I have installed Linux Mandrake 7.0 (kernel 2.2.14-15mdk),
GRASS 5 beta 7, and the spearfish sample data. I can start
GRASS using the spearfish data set but when I enter the
command "d.mon x0" I get the errors:

    GRASS:~ > d.mon x0
    Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
    Graph_Set: can't open :0

It pauses at this point. If I hit ctrl-C, I get the line:

    Problem selecting x0. Will try once more

A second ctrl-C gets me back to the GRASS command prompt.
The same thing happens whether using Gnome or KDE, yet I
have had no problems with other X-applications. I am still
climbing this steep learning curve hand-over-hand, so
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Gregory Walker                gwalker at jump.net