Compile help

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Sun Mar 5 17:05:45 EST 2000

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 09:11:37PM +0000, David Armstrong wrote:
> Could anyone help a new guy compile GRASS 5b6
>
> running linux mandrake 7
>

> having ran ./configure then make i get the following error :-
> root at localhost grass5.0beta]# make
>
> if [ ! -d /usr/local/grass-5.0b ]; then mkdir /usr/local/grass-5.0b ; fi
>
> if [ ! -d src/CMD/next_step ]; then mkdir src/CMD/next_step ; fi
>
> /root/.bashrc UNIX_BIN=/usr/local/bin SRC=`pwd` GISBASE=/usr/local/grass-5.0b MACHINENAME=`uname -n` /bin/sh src/CMD/generic/CREATE_GMAKE.sh
>
> /bin/sh: /root/.bashrc: Permission denied                                           / ************ error ******************/

What are the permissions on /root/.bashrc ? and does it exist?

The line in the Makefile that's giving you grief is in the pre-install:

        ${ENV} ${MAKE_GMAKE_ENV} ${MAKE_POST_ENV} ${SHELL}
	src/CMD/generic/CREATE_GMAKE.sh

It's calling the program "env" to modify the environment for
compilation, and it's trying to source your /root/.bashrc. If it doesn't
exist, just do "touch /root/.bashrc" to create an empty file.

Unfortunately, grass is still a little braindamaged in the
compilation/installation. It's generally recommended to never compile
things as root 'cause "Bad things can happen".  I'd recommend giving
yourself write privledges to /usr/local. I don't know what the group
settings are for /usr/local on Mandrake, but mine are root.staff. So, by
adding myself to the group staff "adduser <username> <group>", I have
write persmission to /usr/local.  Then I just "make install" as a normal
user.  It'd be better if GRASS's "make" or "make all" would just compile
the binaries but not install them, then you could "su -c 'make
install'".  But, for various reasons, that's currently not possible.

Hope the above helps.