Compile help

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Mon Mar 6 04:04:12 EST 2000

Hi all,

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 02:05:45PM -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 09:11:37PM +0000, David Armstrong wrote:
> > Could anyone help a new guy compile GRASS 5b6
> >
> > running linux mandrake 7
[...]

> The line in the Makefile that's giving you grief is in the pre-install:
>
>         ${ENV} ${MAKE_GMAKE_ENV} ${MAKE_POST_ENV} ${SHELL}
[...]
> It's calling the program "env" to modify the environment for
> compilation, and it's trying to source your /root/.bashrc. If it doesn't
> exist, just do "touch /root/.bashrc" to create an empty file.
Please check Makefile, if ${ENV} was expanded to "env" properly.
It fails on a few platforms (why?).

> Unfortunately, grass is still a little braindamaged in the
> compilation/installation. It's generally recommended to never compile
> things as root 'cause "Bad things can happen".  I'd recommend giving
Oh! What are the problems here? Then we can try to fix them.

> It'd be better if GRASS's "make" or "make all" would just compile
> the binaries but not install them, then you could "su -c 'make
> install'".  But, for various reasons, that's currently not possible.

We are working on this, it is a non-trivial task due to GRASS
programming history. Currently we are lucky that at least "auto-conf"
is working :-) Our plans are to restructure the GRASS sources
to small content-oriented packages (GRASS-Core, GRASS-basic, ...)
with GNU-style make/make install. I hope we manage soon but
any help would be appreciated. Please contact me on this if
you could support us.

Regards

 Markus Neteler