r.in.tiff error

Frank Clower frc at citynet.net
Sun Mar 12 09:14:04 EST 2000

Eric G . Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 05:10:53PM -0330, Peter Earle wrote:
> >
> > I am a new subscriber to this list and hence apologise if I am asking a
> > question that has been recently discussed.
> >
> > I am experiencing the Linux (RedHat 6.1) segmentation error when running
> > r.in.tiff and was wondering if there have been any recent "innovations"
> > with regard this problem? The last reference in the on-line archive was
> > dated from early december.
> >
> > Peter Earle
> > Biology Department
> > Memorial University
> > St. John's, NF
> > Canada
> > A1B 3X9
>
> Perhaps you could convert your image to a sunrast or ppm file using
> something like ImageMagick.  I think r.in.tiff must be broken, I don't
> have it with a CVS build from last week.

 Are your tiff files by any chance 8 bit format? I had the same problem
with sigfaults with the 24 bit program but when I compiled
r.in.tiff.c.orig_8bit from the source tree it worked fine reading some
scanned USGS DRG Quadrangles in 8 bit format.
 I was using the scanned USGS quad to drape over a DEM file for a 3d
topographical map but when I zoom into the small area I'm interested in
I have a stairstep, terraced look. Would changing the site reolution
have any effect or should I use the r.surf.idw2 module to correct this
or some other method or module? Any suggestions?

                                       Frank R. Clower