Try 4.2.1 (was: 4.3 binaries for linux?)

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Mar 15 13:12:33 EST 2000

Hi also from my side,

actually there is some confusion about GRASS versions.
To finish this useless discussion, some comments
from my side.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 05:38:51PM +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Hi GRASS community,
> Bruce mailed me personally and suggested that I retract the statement
> that 4.3 was done without Markus' involvement.
>
> I do not know in how far Markus really was involved in releasing 4.3 and
> open statements are hard to get.
Just ask...

Reason to publish 4.3 was to include the GPL statement. I do
not want to start a discussion if this is allowed or not, we
just did it and the audience accepted.
GRASS 4.2.1final was basis for 4.3.

> From my perspective it still looks like 4.3 is not supported
> by Markus in the same manner as he supported 4.2.1.
> Linux binaries e.g. are still missing.

Sorry, we missed that. Our apologies.

> Additionally 4.2.1 has undergone a lot more testing.
Again: GRASS 4.2.1final was basis for 4.3. This is described
on the web pages also. So not much testing is required.

I hope this clarifies the situation. The next days
Hannover and Baylor publish an updated 4.3 version
with minor fixes. ... and Linux binaries, too.

The 4.2.1 stuff will be removed then (to make the
GRASS mirrors happy). Then you can choose

 - either GRASS 4.3: stable
 - or GRASS 5: becoming stable

This is all I want to comment here.

Hope this helps