Apology for v. confusion (was: Try 4.2.1)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 16 08:38:26 EST 2000

Dear GRASS community,
sorry for the version number confusion.
I was wrong about the version number, 4.3 is recommended and stable.

The other part of my rant regarded Baylors style of communicating
their GRASS efforts. Please read on only if you are interested in
this more internal issue:

I am still not completely satisfied about when and how things
are disscused and how credits are given. The problem is identified
though and spelled out. I am sorry for doing this in a very direct manner
which was obviously missunderstood.

I am exchanging emails with Markus and Bruce now to clarify the
situation.  My suggestion is that we keep a GRASS development and support
mailinglist running and open to improve communication and the knowledge
about what the different GRASS groups do.

It is also my idea that people should be generally encouraged to also
write about their negative experiences so that the GRASS group can react,
explain and improve.

Thanks for reading so far,
        Bernhard

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 06:12:33PM +0000, Markus Neteler wrote:
> I hope this clarifies the situation. The next days
> Hannover and Baylor publish an updated 4.3 version
> with minor fixes. ... and Linux binaries, too.

> The 4.2.1 stuff will be removed then (to make the
> GRASS mirrors happy). Then you can choose
>
>  - either GRASS 4.3: stable
>  - or GRASS 5: becoming stable

Please do not remove the old version 4.2.1.
It is generally a good idea to keep the old versions around. You may move
them into an "old" directory. E.g. Redhat even keeps their 1.0 version
around. It might help people with older operating version or in
special situtations.

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)