Try 4.2.1 (was: 4.3 binaries for linux?)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 15 15:44:01 EST 2000

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> Bruce mailed me personally and suggested that I retract the statement
> that 4.3 was done without Markus' involvement.
>
> I do not know in how far Markus really was involved in releasing 4.3 and
> open statements are hard to get.

  I am bothered by personal issues being aired in public. Regardless of what
the issue is, or who is involved.

> From my perspective it still looks like 4.3 is not supported by Markus in
> the same manner as he supported 4.2.1.  Linux binaries e.g. are still
> missing.  Additionally 4.2.1 has undergone a lot more testing.

  Pardon me, but this is what a quick check with my browser found (on:
         <http://www.baylor.edu/~grass/4.3release.info.html>

<quote>

What is different from my version 4.1, 4.2, etc.?
GRASS 4.3 is functionaly the same, only with more modules and a whole lot of
bugfixing. It represents the most stable release of GRASS
yet.

</quote>

  This certainly says that 4.3 is The Real Thing; there doesn't appear to be
a reason for claiming that it's deficient in any way, or that any developer
was slighted in its production and release.

> I have not seen many coding efforts from Baylor in GRASS 5.0 either.
> Baylor promissed computer resources to the GRASS developers which never
> came. The sun workstation they provided was useless for GRASS development
> or developers' webpages.

  This is not my experience. The development team at Baylor has been hard at
work on all aspects of the application: the core GRASS code, the
documentation, the web sites, the port to the Microsoft environment and the
integration of models (such as SWAT) with GRASS. This, of course, in
addition to their day jobs at the University. As a businessman, I know full
well how easy it is for pet projects and "fun" things to be overwhelmed by
the realities of making money to pay the mortgage and the DSL/ISP bills each
month. Oh, and food, too.

> Sorry for ranting today, but I just had to spell it out.

  Private discussions are always more productive than public tantrums. The
mark of a good supervisor is to never chastise a subordinate in front of
others. The mark of a good subordinate is to know that public criticism of
superiors does not move him/her up the career ladder. At least, not without
a knife in the back.

  With luck, maturity will come with time, Bernard.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com