Try 4.2.1 (was: 4.3 binaries for linux?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 16 08:31:41 EST 2000

Hi Rich,

some personal issues are important for grass development!
The management style you propose is largely unusable
for free software development.

I admit that I have been wrong about the 4.2.1/4.3 version issue.
My apology bounced from the mailinglist. I will resent it after this mail.

	Bernhard

ps.: Let me clarify some points in public has you have made them here:

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 12:44:01PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> > I have not seen many coding efforts from Baylor in GRASS 5.0 either.
> > Baylor promissed computer resources to the GRASS developers which never
> > came. The sun workstation they provided was useless for GRASS development
> > or developers' webpages.

>  This is not my experience.
Well your experience can be different. I can show you the mails about
the sun and other resources if you are interested.

> The development team at Baylor has been hard at
> work on all aspects of the application: the core GRASS code, the
> documentation, the web sites, the port to the Microsoft environment and the
> integration of models (such as SWAT) with GRASS.

I have been adding parts to GRASS for about a year, I have not seen much
source code which has been written by people of the University of Baylor.
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/coop.html lists 15 developers,
only three of them have email addresses at Baylor University.

This might be a missunderstanding on your part as I know some of the
persons involved in GRASS development and what they do.
The impression that most coding takes place at Baylor University is not
correct. But this shall not lower the contribution of Baylor University!
As far as I know they are doing a lot of support and try really hard
to get more resources for GRASS development. This is a good thing.

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)