nviz2.2 question

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Wed Mar 15 17:59:34 EST 2000

Michael A Crimmins wrote:

> Hi Markus,
>
> Here are the full error messages on my nviz2.2 problem:
>
> GRASS:~ > nviz2.2
> NVWISH2.2: error in loading shared libraries: libMesaGLU.so.3: cannot open

that means IMHO that the shared libraries are not installed or found.
Try the following: Are the libraries installed in /usr/lib? Are the
libraries listed in /etc/ld.so.conf?
I think that you must recompile nviz again if you install or recompile
the libraries (at least if they are installed in another directory or
with another name).

> This is what happens if I change the first line of the nviz2.2 startup script
> to ' : ' instead of ' #! '
>
> GRASS:~ > nviz2.2
> /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/contrib/cmd/nviz2.2:
> :/usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/contrib/cmd/NVWISH2.2: No such file or
> directory
> /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/contrib/cmd/nviz2.2: /config.tcl: No such file
> or directory
> /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/contrib/cmd/nviz2.2: global: command not found
> /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/contrib/cmd/nviz2.2: syntax error near
> unexpected token `Nv_(T'
> /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/contrib/cmd/nviz2.2:
> /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/contrib/cmd/nviz2.2: line 22: `set Nv_(TOP)
> ".top"'

Try "#!/bin/sh" instead of ":".
Did you run gmakelinks5 after compiling nviz? Does the gmakelinks5 -
script (found in /usr/local/bin) reflect the correct path of your
grass5-installation?

> I originally installed beta6 in a directory called grass-5.0b6, but
> reinstalled it into grass-5.0b on suggestion to account for any hardwired
> directories.
>
> So I guess it brings me back to the Mesa libraries. The RPMS are in there and
> seem to be loaded correctly, but not doing the job. I have tried to stay away
> from compiling for as long as I could, but it is time to take the plunge. I
> downloaded the Mesa3.1 source code file and tried to follow the directions
> provided on the grass site. The problem I run into immediately is that the
> make command isn't found. I checked to see if have a compiler loaded and I
> have the latest egcs rpm loaded from my last RH6.1 install. This is a linux
> problem rather than a grass one, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

I had no problems compiling Mesa-3.1 on Red Hat Linux 5.2 with the
instructions from the mesa-lib. The instructions on the grass site are
outdated.
Try a "./configure --prefix=/usr" and then "make" or "make install."

> Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and thanks for your help, Markus.

HTH,

Andreas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de, A.C.Lange at GMX.net