Contour vectorization (SUMMARY)

David Osborne David.Osborne at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 11:35:39 EST 2000

I asked on this list about software to do raster to vector conversion
of contours:

> I would like to be able to take a colour scanned image of a map and
> extract the contours as vectors, to be able to prepare a DEM of the
> scanned area.

The replies I had recommended the following software:

Mapscan

Platforms: DOS, Windows
Cost: free
Input formats: Paintbrush (PCX), GEM (IMG) and TIFF uncompressed; black
and white images only, not colour.
Output formats: AutoCAD (DXF) and PopMap
Recommended by: Dieter Lehmann

R2V

Platforms: Windows 9X/NT
Cost: $1495 ($960 educational); demo version limited to 256x256 raster
available for download
Input formats: many, incl. BMP, TIFF, GeoTIFF
Output formats: many, incl. ARC/INFO, DXF, MapInfo
Recommended by: Johnny Duke

WinTopo

Platforms: Windows; Linux version under development
Cost: free version available for download; Professional version to be
released soon
Input formats: BMP (free version); TIFF, GIF, BMP (Pro version)
Output formats: BMP (free version); TIFF, BMP (Pro version)
Recommended by: Bong Khin Fah

My thanks to those who replied.

David

David Osborne                         david.osborne at nottingham.ac.uk
School of Geography             phone/voicemail: +44 (0)115 951 3397
University of Nottingham                    fax: +44 (0)115 951 3358
Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK     http://www.geog.nottingham.ac.uk/~osborne