Distribution

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 24 09:11:18 EST 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Stefano Burchielli wrote:

> 1)    I'd like to know which is the best distribution for use with GRASS.

Stefano,

  There is no `best' distribution. GRASS runs well on linux, solaris,
freeBSD, IRIX and probably a few others. In the linux world, may folks (us
included) run it on Red Hat. One of my associates is running it on S.u.S.E.
There is no reason it will not run on any distribution.

  If you are referring to a GRASS distribution, then you have a choice of
two: 4.3 is the most comprehensive (it is the GPL version of 4.2.1 with some
more bug fixes) but lacks floating point number capability. The new version
5 has floating point capabilities and much more, but it's still in the beta
stage and not all modules of the earlier versions have been ported to the
new one. Your choice depends on what you want to do -- or need to do.

> 2)    I've found some pages about integrations between GRASS and modeling
> programs (water quality and quantity, groundwater modeling), but i couldn't
> find any reference to available code (not only free byt also to be paied):
> is it available?

  You need to search for the links, or for the references themselves. Some
of the models (I believe the agricultural hydrology ones) are included with
the GRASS distribution. SWAT (which we'll be using) has its own web site:
<http://www.brc.tamus.edu/swat/>.

  Now that GRASS is released under the GPL, all integrated and associated
models should also be available in source code form. With some luck. :-)

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com