LinuxNewbie

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon May 1 13:43:41 EDT 2000

jsole010 wrote:

> Hello everybody. I'm serching a little help with Linux...
>
> I'm an archeologist working with grass 4.3 for some months. Someday something
> went wrong with my hard disk and my "site_files" directory and the "windows"
> file of a mapset become "block devices". And I cannot open, move or delete
> them because "I've not permission".

You may remove every file as root/superuser, regardless of its
permissions. Use "su -- root" to become root and get permission (you
need the password!).
Use "rm -fR site_files windows" to remove entire directory tree without
confirmation (be _very_ careful! Double check everything! don't blame me
if something goes wrong!, see man mknod, man rm etc).

If someone played a trick on you and changed the file attributes you
must first change them with "chattr" (see man lsattr and man chattr).

And perhaps you should read a book on Unix/Linux shell...

HTH

Andreas

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de, A.C.Lange at GMX.net