Does r.timestamp work for anybody?

Pelizzari, Michael michael.pelizzari at lmco.com
Wed May 17 17:08:47 EDT 2000

Hello, everyone -

I've tried time-stamping a raster file with r.timestamp, and all it ever
does is write an empty file named "timestamp" to the /cell_misc/<filename>/
directory.  Some of my efforts to make r.timestamp work are described in the
tests below.  What am I doing wrong?

1.)   When I try reading the empty timestamp file with the command
r.timestamp map=<filename>
, it prints blanks to the screen, as one might expect from an empty
timestamp file.

2.)   When I create my own timestamp file with a text editor, containing the
single ASCII line
16 may 2000 12:57
and try reading it as in Test 1, r.timestamp still prints blanks to the
screen.

3.)   Curiously, r.timestamp accepts the above format from the timestamp
file, but not from the command line.  When I try time-stamping a file with
the command
r.timestamp map=<filename> date='16 may 2000 12:57'
I get the error message "invalid timestamp specified for raster map
<filename> ..." and a 0-byte timestamp file.  But the command
r.timestamp map=<filename> date='2000 may 16 12:57'
proceeds without error messages to write a 1-byte timestamp file.  It's no
more useful than the 0-byte file.

4.)   Equally curious, the format acceptable from the command line is not
acceptable from the timestamp file.  Creating the timestamp file
2000 may 16 12:57
with the text editor and trying to read it as in Tests 1 and 2, r.timestamp
produces the error message "invalid timestamp file for raster map <filename>
...".