[GRASSLIST:1108] Re: Error compiling on Mac OS X

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Sun Nov 12 15:08:37 EST 2000

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 11:30:41AM -0600, andy agena wrote:
> Hi list:
>
> Thanks to Jeshua Lacock for suggesting "./configure -host powerpc-apple-bsd"
> to solve my configure problem; it configured without a hitch.
>
> My new problem is with make install:  after compiling for quite some time, I
> receive the following message:
>
> mv cell_open_new.o OBJ.powerpc-apple-bsd/cell_open_new.o
> cc  -o /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/main/cmd/r.direct
> OBJ.powerpc-apple-bsd/direct.o OBJ.powerpc-apple-bsd/cell_open.o
> OBJ.powerpc-apple-bsd/cell_open_new.o
> /opt/grass/src/libes/LIB.powerpc-apple-bsd/libgis.a -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lm
Hi Andy,

-lm is the mathematical library. Maybe it is not used on MAC.
Edit
src/CMD/head/head
and change
MATHLIB             = -lm
MATHLIB             =

If you have the current CVS version of GRASS 5 the head filename is for you
src/CMD/head/head.powerpc-apple-bsd

Then it should compile.

This one:
> make[o3]: *** [/usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/main/cmd/r.direct] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> GISGEN failure at STEP: src.garden/answers/src.answers/raster/r.fill.dir
r.fill.dir requires a fortran compiler (g77 or f77), otherwise it
won't compile.

> ln: /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/front.end: No such file or directory
There must have been the -lm error here, too. Please recompile.
In GRASS 5 beta8 you will have to remove the file in
src/CMD/next_step/powerpc-apple-bsd

then run
make install
again.

> I'm still trying to get cvs to fly on my machine, but I'm getting a
> CVSROOT-related error, but I guess this is where I should start, unless
> there's an obvious answer to be found in the above.
Which error? Perhaps I can help...

Cheers

 Markus

PS: Jeshua managed to compile GRASS this morning on his Mac,. You will manage,
    too...