[GRASSLIST:1109] Re: Error compiling on Mac OS X

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at SierraMaps.com
Sun Nov 12 16:16:59 EST 2000

>Hi list:
>
>Thanks to Jeshua Lacock for suggesting "./configure -host powerpc-apple-bsd"
>to solve my configure problem; it configured without a hitch.

Andy, I think a better configure line may be (for Grass 5, beta 8):

  ./configure -host powerpc-apple-nexstep3

(the CVS snapshot version recognizes OS X as powerpc-apple-darwin1.2)

Note that I have successfully compiled most of the source code for
MacOS X and will make a compilation guide and binaries available
soon.  Right now I am trying to get the X-windows based GUI working,
which I am confident I will get working.

In all just 27 modules failed to build, and I will soon send an email
of detailed errors to the development team for analysis.

>My new problem is with make install:  after compiling for quite some time, I
>receive the following message:
>
>mv cell_open_new.o OBJ.powerpc-apple-bsd/cell_open_new.o
>cc  -o /usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/main/cmd/r.direct
>OBJ.powerpc-apple-bsd/direct.o OBJ.powerpc-apple-bsd/cell_open.o
>OBJ.powerpc-apple-bsd/cell_open_new.o
>/opt/grass/src/libes/LIB.powerpc-apple-bsd/libgis.a -lm
>/usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lm
>make[3]: *** [/usr/local/grass-5.0b/etc/bin/main/cmd/r.direct] Error 1
>make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
>make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
>GISGEN failure at STEP: src.garden/answers/src.answers/raster/r.fill.dir

As Markus stated, the Mac does not need the math library flag (-lm)
in addition to removing the -lm switches from the src/CMD/head/head
file, I also removed them from src/CMD/head/head.in,
src/CMD/utils/setup, src/CMD/utils/setup.ig,
src/CMD/utils/setup.xgrass.

Some of the files have the -lm switch up to three times - remove them
all - or at least I did.

Cheers,
--
Jeshua Lacock