[GRASSLIST:1136] Re: global data set

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Wed Nov 15 17:05:47 EST 2000

Hi Markus, hi others,

would'nt it be much simpler just to import a new coastlines data set, e.
g. from the GMT package/Shoreline database?

I'll dig into this next weekend.

Perhaps we should prepare a new global dataset with some more
documentation. Any hints where to get data?

cu,

Andreas

Markus Neteler wrote:

> Hi Seppo,
>
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 01:38:46PM +0200, Seppo kaitala wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> > I have tried to get global dataset
> > (http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/data.html)
> >
> >  working under GRASS5.08b (and 4.3 as well)
> >
> > When I run v.support, I'll get the error message
> >
> >    V.SUPPORT:
> >
> > Converting coastlines from 3.0 to 4.0
> >
> > Selected information from vector header
> >  Map Name:      Coastlines
> >  Source Date:
> >  Orig. Scale:   -1067646976
> >  No snapping will be done
> >
> >     Reading Vector file.
> > OUT OF MEMORY!
> > OUT OF MEMORY!
> > Read_line: Out of Memory
> > Could not build support (dig_plus) file.
> > ERROR(v.support):  Could not build vector file: 'coastlines'
> >
> > Anyhow, I think it is an other problem than memory
>
> that's right (and known problem). Unfortunately the
> "global" dataset in in dig3 format (very old). We need
> a *volunteer* running either GRASS 4.1 or (better) GRASS 4.0.
>
> Is anybody out there having this old GRASS version still running?
>
> Then this person could download the "global dataset" from
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/data.html
>
> open a GRASS monitor and load the map "coastlines" into v.digit.
> Please enter a reasonable scale then etc. and leave v.digit.
> Then please run v.support on the file and tell us about success :-)
> All this in 4.0 or 4.1...
>
> Then we might get the updated package from you (location packaged with
> tar into a .tar.gz file, I could assist then).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
>  Markus

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net