[GRASSLIST:1144] Re: More on questions r.in.tiff

juhana.nieminen at helsinki.fi juhana.nieminen at helsinki.fi
Fri Nov 17 03:11:16 EST 2000

Dear all,

After vigorous testing on our machines (10 in all) we have come to the
conclusion that:
r.in.tiff is largely sensitive to the amount of graphics memory being used at
the time. It is not only a problem in RH7.0 with xfree 4 but as well in RH6.2
with xfree3.6.
I ran a test where parallel Xwindow sessions were used as well as single
xwindows sessions with  highly graphics memory active programs running - in all
cases r.in.tiff gave the "core dumped".
In all cases the graphics cards had either 16 or 32Mb of memory.
The only configuration where r.in.tiff works without a hitch ,is with a  32mb
Matrox G400 dual head .
It works nicely on all machines when no graphics or GUI  what so ever are
displayed.

cheers,

Juhana

--
Division of Environmental Biology,GIS Laboratory