[GRASSLIST:1146] Re: Grass / Windows 2000 Setup and VM Ware Question

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Nov 17 21:15:42 EST 2000

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 02:53:51PM -0600, Rick Thompson wrote:
> Hi,
>     I want Grass for a notebook computer running Windows 2000 and have seen
> some information from a company named VM Ware (http://www.vmware.com). This
> company has a product called 'VMware 2.0 for Windows NT/2000' which utilizes
> a virtual machine technology through which Linux can be run on the NT/2000
> desktop. Rebooting is not required to go between Windows and Linux.
>
>     Has anyone used this software and successfully run Grass and its monitor
> on a Windows PC ?
>
>     This could be an alternative to a dual-boot machine. I only know of PCs
> dual-booting Linux and Windows 98, and I would like to use NT or 2000
> instead.
>     Any suggestions are very welcome.

I have no experience with VM Ware. But, in theory, if you can get it to
run Linux on top of Windows 2000 *and* you can get X to work under those
conditions, then I see no reason why GRASS wouldn't work (maybe run
slower though).  GRASS doesn't use too much trickery in it's code.  We'd
be interested in your results (if you decide to try).  We are working on
the GRASS/CygWin port and hope to get the display part resolved before
too long.  Apparently, everything else works okay under windows (I have
no direct experience though).

You must understand that you'll want alot of RAM and a fast CPU for VM
Ware.  I understand it dogs with less than 96 MB of RAM.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>