[GRASSLIST:1148] Re: Grass / Windows 2000 Setup and VM Ware Question

Roy Sanderson R.A.Sanderson at newcastle.ac.uk
Sat Nov 18 08:28:38 EST 2000

Dear Eric

I run VMWare on a Dell Pentium II portable, with RedHat6.1 as the 'guest'
operating system.  GRASS 4.2.1 ran first time as a Linux binary install,
and monitors display without any problems.

Roy

At 18:15 17/11/00 -0800, Eric G . Miller wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 02:53:51PM -0600, Rick Thompson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     I want Grass for a notebook computer running Windows 2000 and have seen
>> some information from a company named VM Ware (http://www.vmware.com). This
>> company has a product called 'VMware 2.0 for Windows NT/2000' which
utilizes
>> a virtual machine technology through which Linux can be run on the NT/2000
>> desktop. Rebooting is not required to go between Windows and Linux.
>>
>>     Has anyone used this software and successfully run Grass and its
monitor
>> on a Windows PC ?
>>
>>     This could be an alternative to a dual-boot machine. I only know of PCs
>> dual-booting Linux and Windows 98, and I would like to use NT or 2000
>> instead.
>>     Any suggestions are very welcome.
>
>I have no experience with VM Ware. But, in theory, if you can get it to
>run Linux on top of Windows 2000 *and* you can get X to work under those
>conditions, then I see no reason why GRASS wouldn't work (maybe run
>slower though).  GRASS doesn't use too much trickery in it's code.  We'd
>be interested in your results (if you decide to try).  We are working on
>the GRASS/CygWin port and hope to get the display part resolved before
>too long.  Apparently, everything else works okay under windows (I have
>no direct experience though).
>
>You must understand that you'll want alot of RAM and a fast CPU for VM
>Ware.  I understand it dogs with less than 96 MB of RAM.
>
>--
>Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>

Roy Sanderson
Centre for Land Use and Water Resources Research
Porter Building
University of Newcastle
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU