GRASS debs finally ready for testing

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Oct 18 23:22:29 EDT 2000

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 11:17:43AM +0200, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
> Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Markus Neteler's letter:
>
> > >   3/ manpages not included at now (lost my reformatting scripts...)
> > The new man-page concept is build on HTML pages. We are currently
> > updating all missing man-pages in HTML format (most of it is
> > already available on the GRASS servers) and generate the MAN pages
> > from that.

<grass>/html/  g.html2man is supposed to convert to grass man page
format (which is not quite the same as that used by Debian. It's okay I
think, 'cause GRASS has it's own manpage program g.manual.  Maybe a
generic manpage would suffice?).

> where can i find the stuff neded? at now i am including the manpages
> found in the man/ subdir of the beta8 src distribution but i would be
> glad to make a package of more up-to-date documentation.
>
> > >   4/ fifos included in the package! (/in /usr/lib/grass5/dev) how much
> > >      work would be to move them to /var? any grass expert out there?
> > As the fifo's are related to GRASS monitors only, they may stay in
> > /usr/lib/grass5/dev. For future we plan to replace the fifo concept by
> > sockets (this will allow to have graphical output on Windows).
>
> debian packaging policies forbid to place writable files in /usr.
> that's my problem. do you think is bad to move the fifos to /var/...
> and then symlink the entire dir from /usr?

Yes, and there's the lock file dir too.  I was putting the lock dir in
/var/local until I recently moved /usr/local onto it's own partition
(/usr mounted ro most of the time).  Don't think symlinking the
fifo dir would be a problem (not sure, try it!).

--
/bin/sh ~/.signature:
Command not found