GRASS debs finally ready for testing

Federico Di Gregorio fog at mixadlive.com
Wed Oct 18 05:17:43 EDT 2000

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Markus Neteler's letter:

> >   3/ manpages not included at now (lost my reformatting scripts...)
> The new man-page concept is build on HTML pages. We are currently
> updating all missing man-pages in HTML format (most of it is
> already available on the GRASS servers) and generate the MAN pages
> from that.

where can i find the stuff neded? at now i am including the manpages
found in the man/ subdir of the beta8 src distribution but i would be
glad to make a package of more up-to-date documentation.

> >   4/ fifos included in the package! (/in /usr/lib/grass5/dev) how much
> >      work would be to move them to /var? any grass expert out there?
> As the fifo's are related to GRASS monitors only, they may stay in
> /usr/lib/grass5/dev. For future we plan to replace the fifo concept by
> sockets (this will allow to have graphical output on Windows).

debian packaging policies forbid to place writable files in /usr.
that's my problem. do you think is bad to move the fifos to /var/...
and then symlink the entire dir from /usr?

thank you for the comments,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio
MIXAD LIVE System Programmer                           fog at mixadlive.com
Debian GNU/Linux Developer & Italian Press Contact        fog at debian.org
  99.99999999999999999999% still isn't 100% but sometimes suffice. -- Me