[GRASSLIST:1768] Re: Production GIS with Grass

Roger S. Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Wed Apr 25 15:59:41 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Mitch Day wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> Are any members of this list aware of instances where Grass has been
> implemented as a "production" GIS, rather than in an academic or research
> setting?

I am a consultant, rather than an academic. I've been using GRASS 5 since
last July to support ground water studies; mostly in late phases of data
analysis through simulations to presentation.  I am gradually shifting
more and more of my mapping needs over to GRASS.  So far I haven't made
much use of GRASS as a data base for organizing raw data or in the early
steps of analysis.  I expect to use GRASS (along with postgresql)
in early stages of some pending work.  We also used our GRASS installation
to help review a large watershed study that was completed by Blacklands.

Is that what you have in mind as a "production" GIS?

> I am trying to identify any such cases and engage someone involved with
> them in a brief conversation.  Perhaps the entire list would like to
> listen in?

I understand that Blacklands (Temple, Tx) has been using a version of
GRASS 4 for quite some time.

Roger Miller
Lee Wilson and Associates