[GRASSLIST:1771] R: Production GIS with Grass

Andrea Aime aaime at libero.it
Thu Apr 26 02:22:30 EDT 2001

Here at Modena we are using GRASS in a research project that lead to a
commercial product
that would be used in production environment. That is a client/server
product, were the client
is a Windows machine and the server a Linux box with GRASS and PostgreSQL...
of course
only the client side is commercial software. We have used GRASS as an
engine, wrapping it
in a more comfortable user interface and enabling client/server interaction.
That's still not a
production environment but we're not far from it as we have eliminated the
two biggest
shortcomings of GRASS from the point of view of a Windows user: the user
interface and
the operating system, that's still percieved as unfriendly (well, in fact
Linux is still difficult
to set up and mantain for our average user).
Hope this helps
Andrea Aime

PS: BTW, I heard rumours that ENEL, our national electrical company, is
using GRASS
along with Autocad Map for their GIS needs... but I don't know anyone that
can confirm
this or give in deep information about it... In general I suspect that GRASS
and Linux are
used more often that one can expect, but often their users are not aware of
it (because
they are used on the server side...)