[GRASSLIST:1783] Re: maps with polygons from sites files

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Sat Apr 28 10:00:55 EDT 2001

Hi Radim,

thank you very much for your comments.
While playing around with ps.map some more questions arise:

The generated ps files are _very_ big (50 to 130 MB).
If i make pdf files from them (ps2pdf), they shrink down to 1-3 MB.
Is this related to compression?

Are there any ready-to-use ps_icons for grass? Creating them is very
cumbersome.
And the ps_icons are not listed with g.list etc.

Can i use normal eps files generated with other programs? The manual is
not very exhausting here. Are the eps files scalable with the category
value from the sites list?

I think the hcolor and hwidth parameters to the vector display need some
more explanation. Am i right that if i have a style of 0011 the 0's get
painted with color/width parameter and the 1's with the hcolor and
hwidth parameter? Or the other way round? I am confused.

It would be nice to use rgb values for all colors and to allow raster
overlays (with NULL). And i am missing umlauts/localization of the
texts.

But the output is very nice. This has a lot of more potential, but a
user interface is needed IMHO.

cu,

Andreas

Radim Blazek wrote:

> Andreas Lange wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i need thematic maps from sites files (pinpoint maps). But the maps with
> > d.sites commands are not very fancy. So i had the idea that i could draw
> > polygons with piping s.out.ascii to v.in.poly and display with d.area.
> > This allows me to draw circles, triangles, quadrats and other regular
> > shaped polygons with user selectable size and colors.
> >
> > But the problem with this is that for overlapping polygons the topology
> > is not created correctly, so nothing is displayed or only some points
> > are drawn in the display.
> >
> > Are there any workarounds for this? Can i use another command?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for help,
> >
> > Andreas
>
> You can use ps.map where you can specify EPS file for sites.
> More EPS files for sites in one sites file may be specified by category
> number.
> Icons may be rotated by constant and scaled by selected float attribute. It
> is described in man page.
>
> Radim

Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange at GMX.net