[GRASSLIST:1790] Re: Production GIS with Grass

Charles Beaudry beaudryc at noranda.com.br
Sun Apr 29 12:00:52 EDT 2001

> Radim wrote:
>
> Easy thematic maping is of course one of the goals. I would not call it
> priority because it should not be such problem after implementing real
> priorities which are I think (related to thematic maping):
> 1. reliable links to database in vectors (almost done)
> 2. standard connection to external database. (some experimental code is
>     written and I want to open discussion after g5.0 release)
>
> Then thematic maping should be simple modification of few modules and
> some gui for display and ps modules.
>

> Radim

I agree with Radim that although thematic mapping is important, especially
for the "sales pitch", the Grass community should not be distracted from its
mission, that is to build a GIS toolset for study and experimentation.  It
is is through this effort that new ideas will arise that will eventually
find their way into commercial systems.  I have no problem with this even
admitting that there would savings to be made using an open source GIS
solution.

If and when Grass is adequate for our "production" needs we will consider
its implementation in our organization.  Until then we will continue to use
it and accompany its development, even participating when appropriate.

Charles Beaudry
Rio de Janeiro