[GRASSLIST:2261] Re: r.patch -- problem solved

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Fri Aug 3 14:58:03 EDT 2001

Rich,
Check out the man page for r.colors; it describes how color ramps are defined.
If you actually look at your color table (under $LOCATION/colr), you'll see how
it works. Most of the colortables (excluding "rules" and "random", I think)
defined in r.colors are written as ramps, meaning that there are not specific
colors written in the colr file. Try zooming in to part of your DEM, so that you
can see individual cells, and compare nlev=32 to nlev=256. I believe you'll see
a difference, using d.what.rast to identify cell values associated with
different colors. I just tested this, so I know it to be true.

Hope that helps,
	-Malcolm Williamson
	 CAST - University of Arkansas