[GRASSLIST:2276] Re: Display problem of floating point raster data

Christian Georges christian.georges at uibk.ac.at
Sun Aug 5 04:44:26 EDT 2001

Hi Glynn

oops, display is actually configured to run on 32 bits:

(from XF86Config:)

Section "Screen"
  Driver        "SVGA"
  Device        "Primary-Card"
  Monitor       "Primary-Monitor"
  DefaultColorDepth     32
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       32
    Modes       "1280x1024"
  EndSubSection

Is this the reason for my problem?

> Do you get any errors?

No error output message.
CPU usage is at 100%, MEM and swap is filled up until the xserver dies.
I can stop d.mon command using STRG-C in GRASS xterm,
afterwards GRASS ist still stable!
> Is anything being drawn? (if you get a black window, use e.g. "d.erase
> red" first, so that you can distinguish between nothing being drawn
> and everything being drawn in black).

Nothing, it happens the same as described above.

> What output do you get from xdpyinfo?
xdpyinfo reports the server running on 24 bits depth (see below).
(I'm not experienced with xdpyinfo:
is it now actually running in 32 or 24 bits?
What is bitmap unit 32?
I assume 24 bits depth is the physical depth as produced by (or sent to) the monitor)

name of display:    :0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    The XFree86 Project, Inc
vendor release number:    3360
maximum request size:  4194300 bytes
motion buffer size:  256
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 255
focus:  window 0x440000a, revert to PointerRoot
number of extensions:    19
    BIG-REQUESTS
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    LBX
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD
    RECORD
    SECURITY
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    XC-APPGROUP
    XC-MISC
    XFree86-DGA
    XFree86-Misc
    XFree86-VidModeExtension
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (433x347 millimeters)
  resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
  depths (1):    24
  root window id:    0x26
  depth of root window:    24 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x23
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215
  largest cursor:    64x64
  current input event mask:    0xf84033
    KeyPressMask             KeyReleaseMask           EnterWindowMask

    LeaveWindowMask          KeymapStateMask          SubstructureNotifyMask

    SubstructureRedirectMask FocusChangeMask          PropertyChangeMask

    ColormapChangeMask
  number of visuals:    1
  default visual id:  0x22
  visual:
    visual id:    0x22
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

> Does d.colortable produce sensible output?

No, as above

I assume I have to change the Xserver configuration to 24 bits.
Anyway, Glynn thanks for helping!

Christian