[GRASSLIST:2277] Re: Display problem of floating point raster data

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Aug 5 05:10:12 EDT 2001

Christian Georges wrote:

> oops, display is actually configured to run on 32 bits:
>
> (from XF86Config:)

> Section "Screen"
>   Driver        "SVGA"
>   Device        "Primary-Card"
>   Monitor       "Primary-Monitor"
>   DefaultColorDepth     32
>   SubSection "Display"
>     Depth       32
>     Modes       "1280x1024"
>   EndSubSection
>
> Is this the reason for my problem?

Unlikely; the code doesn't make any assumptions about the
framebuffer's memory layout (raster operations are performed using
XPutPixel).

> > Do you get any errors?
> >
> No error output message.
> CPU usage is at 100%, MEM and swap is filled up until the xserver dies.
> I can stop d.mon command using STRG-C in GRASS xterm,
> afterwards GRASS ist still stable!

So "d.mon start=x0" doesn't even complete? What happens if you use the
"-s" switch, i.e. "d.mon -s start=x0"?

> > What output do you get from xdpyinfo?
>
> xdpyinfo reports the server running on 24 bits depth (see below).
>
> (I'm not experienced with xdpyinfo:
> is it now actually running in 32 or 24 bits?
> What is bitmap unit 32?
> I assume 24 bits depth is the physical depth as produced by (or sent to) the monitor)

Basically, it's saying that each pixel is 24 (used) bits padded to
32-bit alignment.

FWIW, XDRIVER runs fine on XFree86 4.1.0 with a 32-bpp framebuffer.

> I assume I have to change the Xserver configuration to 24 bits.

I'm not sure that will help. Either way, let me know what happens.