[GRASSLIST:2282] Re: Making better use of ~/.grassrc5

Conn Copas Conn.Copas at dsto.defence.gov.au
Sun Aug 5 21:02:56 EDT 2001

Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

>   I want to increast the default size of the graphic monitor using
> MONITOR_WIDTH and MONITOR_HEIGHT. But, rather than setting them as global
> environment variables in bash, I would like them to be active only when
> GRASS is running.

Some years ago, I posted code to ensure that the aspect ratio of any new monitor
would automatically match that of the existing region, and that the monitor
would be of a sensible total size. I assume this is part of your motivation
here? Those mods were done by hacking the XDRIVER/IRIS display drivers, but it
occurs to me in retrospect that this could all be achieved with scripts. It
would basically involve setting up an alias such that before any monitor was
started, g.region would be run, the output would be parsed to extract ROWS and
COLS, and then the MONITOR_WIDTH and MONITOR_HEIGHT environment vars would be
set dynamically.

Now a question. Is the XDRIVER supposed to refresh itself after a manual
re-size? It never used to on my system, and I never established how much of that
was a local Xwindows configuration thing, and how much of it was an inherent
Grass limitation.