[GRASSLIST:2289] OT: linux-based library cataloging

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 6 14:20:32 EDT 2001

  Because many of you are in academia, perhaps you can help me find the
software I need. Years ago, back in my DOS days, I used a product called
Square Notes to catalog my books, journal articles, agency reports, etc. The
flat-file database has variable field lengths and accommodates up to 10 key
fields for searching. For the past four years I've done without (but I could
run it under dosemu, I suppose), and I really need to get the cats herded
into the corral.

  This need is not the same as creating a bibliography for an article or
book using LaTeX or DocBook.

  What do folks use? Is there a variable-field-length dbms available for
linux? On a similar note, I used to use a DOS application called InfoSelect
that is a free-form database searchable on any string of characters. Picture
a box of notes, each on a little scrap of paper that you can retrieve by any
content you want. In my opinion, it's the killer app of PIMs and utility.
For the past several years, I've tried to find how one writes a full-text
indexing database so I could create my own on linux. If I can do this, I
could use it to reference my library, too. It's a fabulous application and I
cannot find anything that does what it does. So, if you have some thoughts,
please pass them on.

All help appreciated,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.