[GRASSLIST:2368] Re: d.profile actually

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Mon Aug 20 23:04:12 EDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 09:20:54AM -0400, Kevin Slover wrote:
> sorry, got confuse, I am really using the d.profile command:
>
>  am working with the d.profile command, and have gotten it to work for
> what I am needed...however, I have a question about it...
> is there a way to change the scale??  Ex, I am working with LIDAR data
> for both land and ocean, and have heights ranging from -186 to +35...the
>
> scale used gives me that range...however, I do not really care about
> anything greater than even -50...is it possible to use a MASK and
> "blank" out those depths less than -50??
> and secondly, is there a way to get a better picture??  The profiles are

Nope it's a very simple graphing system...

> small, and very difficult to read.  I have thought about using the
> exported file and drawing a profile using a different program, however
> that will become tedious with the number that I am needed to look
> at...any suggestions for this??

Consider using an external graphing program (that's why there's the
output file).  The output files are easily readable by programs like GRI
or GNUPlot.  Also, I believe GRI can be told to treat all values
above/below some value as value "X".  When I used d.profile and GRI in
the past, I just wrote a fairly generic GRI script to process each input
of profile data (with titles, axis definitions, etc...).  Then I tweaked
each as need be.

Also, for some trickery... While d.profile will only work with 4
profiles at one time, you can copy/rename each of the output files after
each update so you don't need to stop and restart the utility.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>