[GRASSLIST:2717] Re: Projections

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Dec 1 11:38:58 EST 2001

giorgio wrote:

> 1) I would like to visualize my data in two different projection so: is
> there the possibilitiy to change in a location already opened the
> projection (for ex. from long/lat projection to UTM projection) of the
> location or can I manipolate the projection only when I create new
> location?

You can't change projections "on the fly", but you can re-project data
from another location into the current location using r.proj, v.proj
and s.proj (for raster, vector and site maps respectively).

> 2) is there a way so that a single user  can open two session of grass
> and read data in two different locations?

GRASS contains code to prevent a user from having multiple concurrent
sessions. This could be disabled, but I'm not sure what the
consequences would be; presumably this mechanism is there for a reason
(although it might only be necessary to prevent concurrent access to a
given mapset).