[GRASSLIST:2734] Re: compiling grass and gd includes

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Dec 5 04:58:19 EST 2001

cmbarton wrote:

> I thought I'd try to compile grass 5 from the current CVS snapshot to
> take advantage of a few recent updates. I actually did this successfully
> a couple of months ago, so I thought I wouldn't have any problems with
> dependencies.
>
> However, I was wrong. In doing the ./configure step, I get an error
> shown below that I am lacking gd includes. I can't find out what this
> belongs to. Can anyone help? Thanks.

The GD library is only used by the PNG driver. You can either obtain
the GD library from:

	http://www.boutell.com/gd/

or disable the building of the PNG driver by passing the --without-gd
switch to configure.

To clarify what Eric said, by default the configure script generates
an error if an optional library isn't found. You have to explicitly
disable the use of each optional library using the corresponding
--without-* switch. The idea was to ensure that the user is aware that
certain features will be absent.