[GRASSLIST:2766] Re: Error message: creating ps files in grass

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Dec 7 05:46:25 EST 2001

Gail Higginbottom wrote:

> > ps.map creates postscript files from GRASS raster, vector and sites
> > files.  As far as I know ps.map is also the only means of getting
> > directly from GRASS to a finished quality product in one step.
>
> Dear Roger and others,
>
> I was trying to use ps.map yesterday and whilst it accepted the
> chosen postscript printer,  and error message endued, making me nelive I
> had left something out before using ps.map.
>
> The error message reads "ERROR (Then a symbol that looks like two tiny f's
> across a diagonal) : illegal request"
>
> What would this error mean?

My guess is that the "two tiny f's across a diagonal" is a character
with code 255 (hexadecimal FF). This often results from the code which
reads the input receiving an end-of-file condition. This is indicated
by getc() etc returning -1, which is converted to 255 if truncated to
an 8-bit unsigned value.

The first thing to do is to check that there is an "end" command at
the end of the input file, and that there is a newline at the end of
that line (this often appears as a blank line at the end of the file,
depending upon the text editor).