[GRASSLIST:2777] Re: [winGRASS] newbie question: XFree86 and GRASS

Alex Thorn amthorn1979 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 23:30:08 EST 2001

OK.  I just subscribed to GRASSLIST.  It doesn't look
like the address is the same as the one that you cced
this to, so I'm not sure whether I will get messages
from that list or be able to send to it.

--- Mike Thomas <miketh at brisbane.paradigmgeo.com>
wrote:
> Hi Alex.

> Markus - seeing Alex's problem, we probably need to
> make a new Win32 distro,
> based on the changes which came about a few weeks
> ago in Cygwin to do with
> directory path names.

Hmm... It seems to me that that might just make things
more confusing as to where new users should sign up/
post, but then, I am a *very* new user, so perhaps
you are right.

> I will try to make available
> a fairly complete build
> with the native XDriver (rather than the X Windows
> version which I am no
> longer set up to build) for you to download today or
> tomorrow.

I'm not even familiar enough with the jargon to know
what you are trying to say here.

> > having trouble getting GRASS to run.  When
> attempting
> > to run the GRASS Seeds tutorial, GRASS starts up
> OK,
> > but when I type g.list, and then 1, in order to
> look
> > at the raster files, I get the following message:
> >
> > "grass5.0.0pre2_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz" may be
> > binary file.  See it anyway?
>
> This is strange - "g.list" is supposed to look only
> in the directories of
> the current project, giving a list of the files in
> the category which you
> chose - in your case it should have shown a list of
> raster files, rather
> than asking if you wanted to view
> "grass5.0.0pre2_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz".

Yeah, I thought it was bizarre.

> > Not too surprisingly, if I type 'y', I get a page
> of
> > gibberish.  I'm not sure whether this is a problem
> > with the way I have GRASS set up, a problem with
> > the files (my first effort to remedie this was:
> > tar xzf grass5.0.0pre2_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz,
> > which seemed to create a lot of new
> files/directories,
> > but did not fix the problem), or a problem with
> > XFree86.  I suspect that it may be a problem with
> > XFree86, since I have also been unable to use it
> > run graphical programs when I try to use it to
> telnet
> > to a remote Unix machine.  On the other hand, it
> is
> > entirely possible that more than one problem is
> going
> > on.
>
> Sounds like your installation has gone wrong -
> possibly at the Cygwin stage
> or the scripts are not settiung the appropriate
> environment variables.

I may have initialized or expanded something from
the wrong directory. [sigh] I can tell that this
is at least twice as hard as it would be if I was
trying to do this on a *nix machine: not only do
I have to make sure GRASS is installed right, I also
have to make sure that Cygwin and XFree86 are
installed properly.

> Check whether that file is in the CELL subdirectory
> of the grassseeds
> tutorial.

Preferring to supply too much information than too
little:

$ cd cygwin

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin
$ ls
AUTHORS
grass5.0.0pre2_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz
BUGS                      grass5.0.0pre2_src.tar.gz
COPYING                   grass5install.sh
NEWS.html                 grassdata
README                    include
REQUIREMENTS.html         lib
TODO.txt                  logfield1
bin                       man
bwidget                   sbin
cygwin.bat                scripts
cygwin.ico                setup.log
dev                       setup.log.full
documents
sunrpc-4.0.cygwin1.bin.tar.gz
driver                    tcltkgrass
etc                       tmp
fonts                     txt
global                    usr
global_grass5data.tar.gz  v.in.shape.stackdump
grass.src                 var
grass5
xtcltk8.0.5-CYGWIN_NT-4.0-20010405-1.tar.gz

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin
$ cd grassdata

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata
$ ls
field1  global_grass5data.tar.gz  leics.tar.z
spearfish_grass5data.tar.gz
global  leics                     spearfish

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata
$ cd leics

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics
$ ls
PERMANENT  Thorn

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics
$ cd permanent

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics/permanent
$ ls
DEFAULT_WIND  SEARCH_PATH  cats  cell_misc  colr
dig_att   dig_plus  reg
MYNAME        WIND         cell  cellhd     dig
dig_cats  hist      windows

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics/permanent
$ cd cell

I have no name!@SAM
~/cygwin/grassdata/leics/permanent/cell
$ ls
contours  image    plant  rail   segment  spillage
urban
crash     landcov  popln  roads  source   topo
water

$

I have no name!@SAM
~/cygwin/grassdata/leics/permanent/cell
$ cd ..

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics/permanent
$ cd Thorn
bash: cd: Thorn: No such file or directory

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics/permanent
$ cd ..

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics
$ cd ..

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata
$ cd leics

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics
$ ls
PERMANENT  Thorn

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics
$ cd Thorn

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics/Thorn
$ ls
CURGROUP  WIND  group

I have no name!@SAM ~/cygwin/grassdata/leics/Thorn
$

...So I guess the answer would be...no?

> If you reply to this email, try including a listing
> of your environment
> inside a running Grass session.  That is, send a
> copy of the output from the
> "env" command at the Grass command prompt.

Here goes nothing...

GRASS:~/cygwin > env
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
PROMPT=$P$G
PWD=/cygdrive/c/cygwin
GISDBASE=/cygdrive/c/cygwin/grassdata
LOGONSERVER=\\SAM
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=15
OS2LIBPATH=C:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;
COMSPEC=C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe
!C:=C:\cygwin\bin
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
MAPSET=Thorn
SYSTEMDRIVE=C:
COMMONPROGRAMFILES=C:\Program Files\Common Files
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0102
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/grass5/lib
GRASS_GUI=text
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
COMPUTERNAME=SAM
WINDIR=C:\WINNT
USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
GISBASE=/usr/local/grass5
PROGRAMFILES=C:\Program Files
USER=500
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2,
GenuineIntel
OS=Windows_NT
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
TEMP=/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp
GISRC=/cygdrive/c/.grassrc5
SYSTEMROOT=C:\WINNT
GIS_LOCK=456
LOCATION_NAME=leics
GRASS_WISH=wish
TMP=/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp
HOMEDRIVE=C:
SHLVL=5
MAKE_MODE=unix
LOCATION=/cygdrive/c/cygwin/grassdata/leics/Thorn
APPDATA=C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Application Data
HOMEPATH=\
USERDOMAIN=SAM
GRASS_PAGER=more
USERNAME=administrator
TERM=cygwin
HOME=/cygdrive/c
GRASS_TCLSH=tclsh
PATH=/usr/local/grass5/bin:/usr/local/grass5/scripts:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bi
n:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/
cygdrive/c/Program Files/Common Files/Adaptec
Shared/System:
GRASS_GNUPLOT=gnuplot -persist
GRASS_PERL=/usr/bin/perl
_=/usr/bin/env
GRASS:~/cygwin >

> Also try the "less" command to see that it works OK.

I'm not at all sure what you mean.  As I say, I'm
pretty new to this.

> Grass is very good if you like Unix command line
> interfaces. It has some
> interesting simulation packages built in.  The
> Windows version is very new
> (not so new that the problems you have related above
> would appear though!)
>
> The short answer is that I enjoy using Grass.

I suspect that I will as well.  Maybe not on a
Windows machine though...

Thank you Mike, and thanks in advance to others
who might help,
--Alex