[GRASSLIST:2817] Re: XYZ Ascii into Grass

Nick Cahill ndcahill at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 21 10:52:53 EST 2001

Another possible problem is that your ascii file may have Mac or DOS
line breaks instead of UNIX line breaks. If you try to feed GRASS an
ascii file with Mac line breaks it will fail. There are various ways
to convert  -- I use BBEdit. Open the file in BBEdit; there's a
pull-down menu at the top with a small page icon, and among the items
are Macintosh, Unix, and Windows; choose Windows, then save the file.
I think there's an applescript which will do the same thing. Then you
can import the ascii text into a sites file as described by Andrea
Aime. This works perfectly for me using just a file that has x y z
coordinates separated by one or more spaces; I haven't needed a
progressive integer number to import or interpolate. The grass module
s.surf.rst then can interpolate the site file. I've done this
successfully with GPS data (probably what you're doing too).

Good luck,

Nick Cahill
(another relative newbie on OSX)
Sardis Archaeological Expedition, Turkey