[GRASSLIST:2825] Re: geographical database

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 27 16:17:29 EST 2001

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 10:54:17AM +0200, Ahmet Temiz wrote:
>    We are thinking of buiding a new database which is likely
>    to support futher GIS applications. What choosing a geographical
>    database such as PostgreSQL will provide us ?
>    I was wondering if you can explain to me what the advantageous of
>    using geographical database over
>    conventional database in GIS are.

There are severla documents describing this,
check http://postgis.refractions.net/
and the links.

A database tuned for geographical data will have additional
data types, index methods and query functions for this purpose.
If you do not rely on the, you have to add them to your
datastructure by yourself.