[GRASSLIST:1426] Re: why I always got "LOCATION_NAME not set" when I start Grass5.0 beta 10?

Eric G . Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Feb 6 21:16:07 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 11:06:39AM -0800, Bei Zhang wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I'm new to Grass 5.0 beta 10, here is what I got:
>
> My operating system is Redhat Linux 7.0, I installed Grass5beta10
> binary at /usr/local/grass, and the tutorial "leics" dataset I
> downloaded from official Grass website was put at
> /home/username/leics/PERMANENT.
>
> After installation of Grass, I run "grass5" at command line and got
> promption to input GISDBASE, LOCATION_NAME and MAPSET, since it's just
> a try, I pressed "Ctrl+C" to exit the system. Later on, when I typed
> "grass5 /home/username/leics/PERMANENT", Grass initiated and
> automatically loaded the tcl/tk GUI, but when I tried to do something
> like "g.list", I got a "LOCATION_NAME not set" error message
> everytime. But when I typed "set" at command line in Grass, I can see
> that the LOCATION_NAME has been assigned "leics", and MAPSET assigned
> "PERMANENT". So I don't know why I got "LOCATION_NAME not set".
>
> Could anybody give me a answer? (Grass 5 manual "startup" section
> doesn't seem to help much)

Try starting grass5 without any command line parameter, set the
gisdbase, location and mapset values (/home/<user>, leics, PERMANENT)
and then key <ESC> <ENTER>.  Maybe just the funky mapset initialization
is not happening the other way (bug?) -- there are some shell spawning
tricks GRASS plays...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>