[GRASSLIST:1340] Re: Fwd: screen

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Fri Jan 5 07:57:36 EST 2001

Hi Ben,

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:16:07AM +0100, Ben Véler wrote:
> hello,
>
> 	I've got a pb to see a map in Grass :
>
> 	* I'm on linux, Mandrake 6.0 ;
> 	* I've installed Grass 4.2.1, with tcl/tk 2.9, and wish 8.0 ;
> 	* my screen driver is cell ;
this is the problem: You have to start a GRASS monitor:

d.mon start=x0

(not d.mon start=CELL)

Then a black window should open.

> 	* I've downloaded the global dataset from the grass site, and installed
> it into a grassdata directory ;
> 	* everything seems to go well, except that when I make a command to
> display either a vector or a raster map, nothing never comes... It runs, and
> runs, and runs....
Yes, because it writes all output into the raster map D_cell. This is used
for high resolution prints only (if exporting).
I guess you want to look at the maps: run above
d.mon start=x0

then for example:
d.rast soils

etc.