[GRASSLIST:1397] Re: What is the deal with i.points3?

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Jan 24 06:48:45 EST 2001

Morten,

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:52:22AM +0100, Morten Sickel wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> I want to georectify some aerial photographs into a location with a DTM. I
> can't use the i.orto.photo because my scanner is to narrow to get all the
> edge markes, in addition, to have the entire image scanned with the desried
> resolution, the image takes up approx 100MB, whereas the area of interest
> takes up approx 15 MB, a bit easier to handle...
>
> As far as I can see, I need to use i.points3 to be able to use the DTM
> during the rectification, but when I tried to use it, everything seemed OK,
> until I tried to actually register points and assign a transformation, which
> just didn't work. A quick dive into the sourcecode, showed that a number of
> important functions are commented out, it seems as if anybody is working on
> it, but I couldn't find any entries on i.points3 in the ONGOING list.

two days ago I fixed the Gmakefile of i.points3 so that the module
will appear in beta11 (to be published asap). Nothing else was done on
the module.

Generally i.points3 is somewhat more userfriendly as i.points.

> My questions are therefore:
> 1 - Is anything happening in i.points3? For my self, I can enough c to read
> the source file, but doubtfully enough to finish any ongoing work on the
> module, although I'll look through it.
> 2 - Are there any other possibilities to rectify an image using my DTM? I
> have tried using i.points and i.rectify or i.rectify2, but as far as I
> understand, that process does not use the DTM.

What I understood from the i.points3 code the DEM support is not yet
properly implemented (but I hope I am wrong). I would be glad if you
could try to get i.point3 working as it will be an important module
to rectify various images (SPOT with DEM etc.).

As far as I know nobody works on i.points3 at time.

regards

 Markus Neteler