[GRASSLIST:2049] Re: Newbie Grass5.0.0pre1 compilation problem

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jul 3 03:48:05 EDT 2001

Hi Simon,

Glynn already send one suggestion, here a second:

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 08:19:25AM +0100, Simon Parker wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> thanks for the help. I tried these checks and results were:
> 	plenty of disc space
> 	no .gislock
> 	could create it and remove it
>
> So I tried another tack. I updated my glibc, since there was an update
> available from Mandrake (7th May 2001), this was a bugfix - fixes a problem
> with Oracle Universal Installer. Thought this was worth a shot. Also
> downloaded the CVS snapshot and recompiled. This did the trick - it compiled
> fine. So I don't know which one was causing the problem, but hopefully this
> might help someone else out.
>
> I still have a problem though, neithter of the two modules I wanted to use
> (r.in.ntf2 and m.in.ntf) would compile for me. For example for r.in.ntf2,
> when I run gmake5, it compiles about 4 or 5 files, then I get:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open output file /r.in.ntf2 permission denied
>
> Now I know that I don't have permission to write to this directory as user,
> but this doeasn't seem to be the right place for the file. Looking through
> the  Gmakefile it seems as though the variable $(BIN_CONTRIB_CMD) is
> undefined.
[...]

I guess you have been downloading from Mark Lake's web site. This tool is
not fully updated to GRASS 5: Some month ago we changed
$(BIN_CONTRIB_CMD) to $(BIN_CMD)

So you have to *adjust* the variable accordingly in Gmakefile. Then the
strange error message will disappear (I know that message).

Probably Mark could put such a modified version online (hi Mark!).

Hope this helps,

 Markus

--
Markus Neteler *  University of Hannover
Institute of Physical Geography and Landscape Ecology