[GRASSLIST:2066] Re: GRASS v ESRI

Stefano Maffulli stefano.maffulli at milug.org
Thu Jul 5 06:51:50 EDT 2001

Hi Richard,

On Thursday 05 July 2001 12:07, Richard Ford wrote:
> So in light of all the suggestions does there seem to be a link anywhere?
> With say starting in ArcInfo and then moving to --  ??

CommonGIS can import shape files, e00, and a whole lot of other geometry
formats. As for tabular data, you can import dbf, ODBC/JDBC, Oracle 8, CSV
and clipboard (just in case someone wants to add data on the fly). Don't know
about MapServer

> I am yet to look through OpenGIS or was it freegis.org ....  there seems to

it is freegis.org, OpenGIS is another thing :)

> We do need something that requires not too much back end work as we need
> the final project done by December.

CommonGIS has no competitors, IMHO: it is too good right now. (I am not in
the team anymore, I am not earning money, nor am I involved with the software
development, but I would really love to see it released as free software).

bye
stef

--
Stefano Maffulli aka Reed                   | Milano Linux User Group
http://www.zoomata.com a close-up on italy  | http://www.milug.org