[GRASSLIST:2064] Re: GRASS v ESRI

Richard Ford grass at cubok.com
Thu Jul 5 06:07:20 EDT 2001

I am looking at Map server now...

Stefano and Eric.  I am looking at your stuff as well.

Does everyone understand what I am on about?  :)

The data has been put together and is working in ArcView(Info - whatever I
forget!) and is good.  We need to web enable that.  We have tried ArcIMS - I
assume it can read ArcInfo shape files and projects with a small
modification they mention in the docs.

However we would want to do some custom stuff with PHP as well as not use
NT!

So in light of all the suggestions does there seem to be a link anywhere?
With say starting in ArcInfo and then moving to --  ??

Map server

or

CommonGIS

or ??

I am yet to look through OpenGIS or was it freegis.org ....  there seems to
be so much going on with GIS and so many projects all over the world - I am
confused (I know nothing about GIS or earth sciences) and excited by all the
possibilities.

We do need something that requires not too much back end work as we need the
final project done by December.

Cheers,
Richard.