[GRASSLIST:2104] Data source(s) for river sediments?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Jul 14 12:58:17 EDT 2001

  Is anyone here aware of a source of remotely-sensed data that can identify
stream/river sediments and allow particle size estimates? What I would like
to do is add a data layer of fish habitats (particularly salmonid spawning,
rearing and holding areas) to an environmental GIS.

  I'm aware of ground-penetrating radars and lidar, but I don't know their
capabilities. What I would like to do is be able to characterize river beds
in a region (state or larger) similar to the way we can use remotely-sensed
imagery to characterize vegetation. Ground truthing would be done if there
are digital data to verify. :-)

  With all the GRASS users world-wide, I hope that someone can come up with
insight and suggestions.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.